It actually looked kind of bland and boring in the ice cream maker. Then I took a spoon and tasted. The tartness combined with the creaminess is superb.
My swirls were less impressive than in the original, but it still tasted very good.
The original recipe here also used candied pink peppercorns, but I omitted those purely because I didn’t have them.
Ice Cream ingredients
250 ml cream
150 g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
250 ml buttermilk
Strawberry sauce ingredients for the swirl
500 g strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced
3 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1. In a saucepan, combine cream and sugar (from the ice cream ingredient list) and heat until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat.
2. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. (For the ease, I just use my electric whisk – it leaves one hand free.) Whilst whisking, add about 100 ml of the warm cream to the yolks.
3. Add the rest of the cream to the yolk mixture and keep whisking.
4. Once everything is combined, pour it back into the saucepan and place the mixture over low heat until it has thickened.
5. Pour through a sieve into a bowl, and stir in the buttermilk. Mix well together and let it cool a bit.
6. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely.
7. Add the strawberries to a medium saucepan. Using a hand held blender puree them.
8. Add the sugar and the salt and heat on a medium heat until it is cooking. Let cook until it thickens and is very reduced in size. (Original states 125 ml of thick strawberry concentrate should come out of it. I didn’t have that much patience so mine was thinner and I had more.)
9. Place strawberry sauce in the refrigerator.
10. Once the ice cream mixture is cold, pour it into hte ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.
11. Take 1/3 of the mixture and drizzle 1/3 of the strawberry sauce over it. Repeat with the additional layers. Freeze until hard.
As I mentioned in step 8, I had more than the intended amount of strawberry sauce, so I had some leftover. I put that on some greek yogurt and had it for breakfast. Win-win.