Dear Anne (13 years old),
If this could get sent back in time – some things I have learned over the years that might have been useful to know back when I was 13.
- Keep in touch with people like you did back then.
- Trying new things like going abroad to study – probably the best decision you’re going to make.
- Studying is important, but so is the social bit. Go out even more.
- Join more activities.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. The mathematics and science bits that you don’t pick up in the coming three years… well, you’ll never quite understand them. But so far, it hasn’t been a major problem.
- You didn’t get sorted into the class you wanted for middle school. It was still a pretty great class. Stop obsessing about it.
- Play outside more. Take up running. When something annoys you, go for a run.
- You do well on oral exams. Not so well on written exams. It happens. The world isn’t ending because of that. Well, at least not yet.
- Your sisters, annoying as they are now, are one of the best assets you’ll ever have. Treasure them.
Anne (Almost 30).