This recipe has been named the best waffles in the world several times over. (The Norwegian Church Abroad has a tradition of serving waffles to visiting guests, and the different churches in various countries abroad have been competing for the best waffle recipe… )
This recipe is from the Norwegian Church in Copenhagen, and I whipped it together in less than 5 minutes when I was feeling down and in need of some good memories back from when I studied in Copenhagen. (I melt the butter in the microwave, so mixing the batter together took next to no time.)
Unlike Belgian waffles, these are soft.
500 ml flour
2 tsp baking powder
100 ml sugar
500 ml Buttermilk
200 ml Milk
1 tsp powdered cardamom
50 ml melted butter
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients.
2. Add in the wet ingredients and stir together well. No lumps.
3. Let the batter rest for 15-20 minutes.
4. Heat up the waffle iron and butter it slightly before starting to bake the waffles.
5. Bake the waffles.
6. Serve warm with jam, sour cream or brown cheese.