It means that it is a pretty good time for making this creamy, cheesy, warm soup.
Plus, there is broccoli in it – so despite the cheese, not totally unhealthy.
I rummaged through some old bookmarks, and found this version from the Pioneer Woman.
Her recipe serves ten. I halved it, as I don’t have as many hungry mouths to feed. It tastes amazing, but I didn’t want to eat just this for dinner for the next ten days.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 50 g butter
- 20 g flour
- 470 ml milk
- 240 ml cream
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 small dash nutmeg
- 150-200 g grated cheese, (Choose the strength on the cheese depending on how strong flavor you want. )
1. On medium heat: Melt the butter in a pan. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the flour and combine.
3. Pour in the milk and cream.
4. Add the broccoli, the nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Turn the heat low, and cover the pot. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
6. Stir the cheese in, and watch it melt.
7. Take half of the soup and puree in blender.
You can choose to puree all of the soup or none of it, but I felt that pureeing half gave me a smoother texture overall, while still having a bit of broccoli crunch to it.